BACHELOR OF PHYSIOTHERAPY(B.P.T)
CURRICULUM – 4 year Course with 6months Internship.
The B.PT course has a balanced combination of subjects relating to Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation, with a substantial component of medical subjects. Hence, the students will acquire skills that will give them the professional competency to treat a full range of physical impediments which could be congenital, post-operative or which occur due to a major accident.
- I year: Human Anatomy, Physiology including Therapeutic Physiology & Biochemistry, Psychology, Sociology, Bio-Mechanics of Human motion.
- II year: Pharmacology, Pathology & Microbiology, Therapeutics, Electrotherapy, Research, methodology Biostatistics
- III year: General Medicine ,General Surgery, Orthopedics & Traumatology, Orthopedics and Sports Physiotherapy ,Cardio-Respiratory & General Physiotherapy.
- IV year: Neurology & Neurosurgery, Neuro-Physiotherapy , Community Medicine and Community Based Rehabilitation.
Apart from the subjects listed above there are other ancillary subjects which are not for University examinations.
Commencement of course
The B.PT course commences as per the date prescribed by the University, most likely during August of the academic year List of documents to be produced at the time of admission for B.PT course:
- 12th standard equivalent marks card / pass certificate - Original + 3 attested photocopies.
- 10th standard pass certificate for proof of date of birth - Original + 3 attested photocopies.
- Transfer certificate from the institution last attended - Original + 3 attested photocopies.
- Conduct certificate from the institution last attended - Original only.
- Eligibility certificate issued by the Registrar, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore (not required if the student has passed the Karnataka PUC).
- Migration certificate from the Board of the institution last studied (not required if the student has passed the Karnataka PUC).
- Physical fitness certificate from a registered medical practitioner.
- Blood group certificate.
- Photographs - passport size 05, stamp size 05.
MASTERS OF PHYSIOTHERAPY (M.P.T)
Masters of Physiotherapy – 2 Years Courses
- Physiotherapy in Neurological & Psychosomatic disorders.
- Physiotherapy in Musculoskeletal disorders & Sports Physiotherapy
- Physiotherapy in Cardio-respiratory disorders & Intensive care.
- Community Physiotherapy & Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR).
- Pediatric Physiotherapy.
Goals Of Course
- Preparation of a postgraduate student towards his/her professional autonomy with self regulating discipline at par with global standards.
- Formation of base of the professional practice by referral as well as first contact mode using evidence based practice.
- Impartation of research basis in order to validate techniques & technology in practice to physiotherapy.
- Acquainting a student with concept of quality care at the institutional as well as the community levels.
- Inculcation of appropriate professional relationship in multidisciplinary set up, patient management and co partnership basis.
- Preparation of students to address problems related to health education and community physiotherapy.
- Practicing the concept of protection of rights of the community during referral as well as first contact practice.
- Incorporation of concept of management in physiotherapy.
- Experience in clinical training and undergraduate teaching partly.
- Providing the honest, competent and accountable physiotherapy services to the community.
I Year: The following subjects are common for all specialties: Principles of Physiotherapy Practice , Research Methodology and Biostatistics, Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology and Electrophysiology Physical and Functional Diagnosis.
II Year: Physiotherapeutic and the Elective Specialty.
All student will undergo Clinical training, seminars, journal presentation, case presentation, teaching skills & field work during 2 Years Program.
Candidates who have passed B.Sc. (PT) or BPT degree from institutions where the mode of study is a full time program, with minimum 3½ years / 4 ½ years duration from this university or any other university OR Candidates who have passed BPT through Bridge Course or through Lateral Entry after completing their Diploma in Physiotherapy from institutions in India or abroad as equivalent with not less than 50% of marks in aggregate and have completed 6 months of compulsory rotating internship in Physiotherapy Colleges recognized by RGUHS - Karnataka are eligible. Candidates who have passed BPT through correspondence or Distance Education program are not eligible.
Obtaining Eligibility Certificate
No candidate shall be admitted for the postgraduate degree course unless the candidate has obtained and produced the eligibility certificate issued by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Karnataka. The candidate has to make the application to the university with the following documents along with the prescribed fee.
- 1. B.P.T. or B.Sc. (PT) provisional / degree certificate issued by the respective university.
- 2. Marks cards of all the university examinations passed.
- 3. Completion of internship certificate.
- 4. Proof of SC/ST or category-I as the case may be.
A candidate who has been admitted to postgraduate course should register his/her name in the university within a month of admission after paying the registration fee.
Post Graduate Departments of Laxmi Memorial College of Physiotherapy is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences and recognized as having necessary infrastructure and facilities for carrying out research in Physiotherapy. The Post Graduate Department has been approved by the Affiliation section of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences as a recognized Ph.D center.
Candidates are permitted to pursue research activities for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) with a PG degree in Physiotherapy i.e., MPT degree awarded by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences or a Master’s degree considered as equivalent by RGUHS are eligible for enrollment to Ph.D course in Physiotherapy under Medical faculty.
In Physiotherapy, if a suitable Guide with Ph.D/MPT qualification fulfilling all the other criteria to become a Ph.D Guide in the subject of Physiotherapy is not available, a senior Professor with MD/MS qualification from the relevant clinical subjects of Medical faculty in Clinical subjects related to Physiotherapy such as Orthopedics, Neurology, Cardiology, Respiratory Medicine etc may be considered as Guides till recognized Guides in Physiotherapy are available provided he/she has fulfilled all the other criteria’s to become the Ph.D Guide. Senior faculty member, with D M (Neurology) and M.ch (Cardio Vascular Surgery can be the Guides for Ph.D in Physiotherapy.
The minimum duration of Ph.D course for full time Ph.D students shall be three years from the date of provisional registration. The minimum duration for part time Ph.D students shall be five years from the date of provisional registration.
The maximum duration shall be seven years from the date of provisional registration for all categories i.e., for both full time and part time Ph.D students. All candidates should complete research work and submit thesis to the University within seven years from the date of provisional registration. There will be no provision for further extension of the period.
List of Documents to be enclosed along with the application form:
- 1. Final Year degree marks
- 2. Graduate degree Certificate
- 3. Post-Graduate degree marks card
- 4. Post-Graduate degree Certificate
- 5. Consent letter from the guide
- 6. Notification from the University recognizing the guide and the institution /College
- 7. Notification from the University recognizing the institution /College
- 8. No Objection certificate from
a) Head of the department and the institute ,where he /she is employed
b) Head of the department and the institute ,where the candidate intends to pursue the PhD Course
- 9. Preliminary Synopsis of the proposed thesis – three copies
- 10. Photograph of the candidate
Note: Attach only attested photocopies of marks card, degree certificate, or of any other docment. Produce the original at the time of Interview
Procedure For Selection
All applications received by the University on or before the stipulated time and date shall be placed before the Ph.D Registration Committee of the respective faculty. The Committee shall then examine the applications and after satisfying itself about the eligibility requirements, conduct an interview for the candidates. Every candidate shall make a presentation of his/her Ph.D protocol along with/without his/her Guide before the Ph.D Registration Committee.
No candidate shall, without the previous permission of the Ph.D registration committee join any other course of study or appear for any other examination conducted by the University or by any other University during the period of registration.
Confirmation Of Provisional Registration
The provisional registration of a candidate for pursuing Ph.D course to the award of Ph.D degree shall be confirmed only when he/she passes the Pre-Ph.D examination conducted by the University The candidate will be eligible to appear for the Pre Ph.D examination only after the completion of one year from the date of provisional registration provided his/her first half yearly progress report is found satisfactory.
Pre Ph.D Examination
The scheme for Pre Ph.D examination to be conducted by the University shall be as follows:
- (i) Two written papers each of three hours duration and each carrying maximum of 100 marks.
PAPER I : Research Methodology related to the area of research.
PAPER II : Specialization Background to the topics of study (topics related to the specialized subject) under which the topic / area of research is undertaken.
- (ii) A Viva-Voce examination carrying a maximum of 100 marks for candidates who have passed the theory examination. For further details contact University website.